Today is National Trail Mix Day—the perfect excuse to make yourself a tasty D.I.Y. version of the healthy, energy-packed snack. Making your own means you can avoid the prepackaged ones that can be high in sugar, and also have the ability to customize it to your preferred combinations.
– Raw nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts, or Brazil nuts
– Seeds such as sunflower, hemp, or chia (the last of these, by the way, are high in fiber, protein, and essential omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium and iron)
– Dried fruit (look for ones without added sugar) such as cranberries, cherries, blueberries, goji, or raisins
– Chocolates like cacao nibs or dark chocolate pieces
– Add any sweet-friendly spices, such as cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg
Put all of your selected ingredients together in a bag. You might want to add a pinch of Himalayan sea salt for extra flavor. Eat up!