I often get asked how often I cleanse, or recommend that others cleanse. The answer is that I believe in cleansing with the seasons, meaning about 3 to 4 times per year. It helps to reset and nourish your body with vitamins and minerals while gently washing away all of the things that no longer serve you.
Cleansing also resets your body and helps you crave healthier foods. All of this leaves you feeling lighter, more clear-headed, and sets you up in a big way to be stronger in tackling all of your next goals. But cleansing is only one part of bringing this into your life’s habits. This goes well beyond January; these are sustainable daily rituals that keep you going throughout the year. So forget dieting–diets don’t work. It’s not about depravation, but about adding in the following tips, all of which help you feel your best all year long.
- Start your day with lemon water.
- Drink a green juice. I start my day drinking 32 ounces of a Nourish Your Soul cold pressed juice. Each one holds 4 to 6 pounds of veggies and fruit. So I start my day getting a ton of nutrients, which it sets me off on the right foot.
- Move. Yoga (or any type of exercise, for that matter) is a great tool to help your lymph system move toxins through your body. So by all means, get out there and break a sweat!
- Exfoliate the body. Your skin is your largest organ. Try dry brushing before you shower or use a warm washcloth to help exfoliate during the shower.
- Plan your weekly meals ahead. Maybe it’s packing a healthy lunch each day or adding more greens to your dinner. Find an upgrade to each meal that’s easily doable, like adding a superfood into your meal or finding a healthier afternoon snack.
- Clear out the clutter. Even if you just you clear out one room or one drawer at a time, detoxing your office and home can have tremendous effects. You’ll feel lighter and have far more energy.
- Eat enough fiber. It’s what keeps you full, which can help with weight loss. It quickly passes through your digestive tract because it doesn’t get broken down like other foods. This is what helps to create the bulk but also move things along, including toxins. Examples include whole grains, organic vegetables, fruit, and beans.
- Get a facial, massage, or meditate. These can all help to further release toxins. A more relaxed body eliminates toxins more easily.
- Sleep. Aim for eight hours every night. This gives your body the time it needs to heal and restore.